We are closing in on our deadline of August 31st to get our brews on the wagon headed toward the 2012 Great American Beer Festival for the festing and the judging. To meet this deadline we needed to have all of our GABF entry beers brewed and ready to go by the end of this week.
Our smallest batch at Drake’s is 15bbls, so once all the requisite kegs and cases for Denver are filled, we will have a little extra. So, for our loyal fans in our neck of the woods in the next few weeks you will be seeing some specialty brews from us made specifically for GABF. Here’s the list of our GABF entries, starting with the one-offs.
1. Drake’s Occu-Rye- 6.1%, 32 IBUs- a light amber rye ale redolent of spicy, herbaceous flavors and aromas with a light toasted malt character and a clean spicy rye finish. Created and brewed by our Cellar Master John Gillooly, this is the one beer that he says he’s been chasing his entire brewing career. We think he nailed it.
Subverting dominant Barley Grain privilege, Drake’s Occu-Rye demands equal status for long oppressed Rye grain. Further, we have ended the patriarchal dominance of Craft Brewers who insist on hiding Rye’s light under a bushel (of hops) by presenting a beer brewed with an eye-watering amount of Rye. Barley Dominance Must Die! Hella Hella Occu-Rye!
2. Scorched Earth- 10.2% ABV- Beech smoked Imperial stout. **
Last January we got together with Beer Revolution co-owner Fraggle to brew a specialty beer for the Oakland Beer Bar’s 2nd Anniversary. Given the Beer Revolutionaries’ penchant for German Rauschbiers and smoked beers of all types, we made Moscow’s Burning smoked Imperial Stout- a delicious lightly smoked, rich dark imperial stout. We found it to be pretty delicious, so when it came time to decide on a couple special ideas for our GABF entries we thought that a slightly smokier version would be right on target. Moscow’s Burned, so now we have Scorched Earth.
3. Barrel House Sour- Light Belgian ale aged in used French oak red wine barrels, and inoculated with a blend of brettanomyces and lactobacillus. Category: 24A; Wood and Barrel Aged Sour Beer; ABV 6.5% **
4. 1500- dry-hopped American Pale Ale; ABV- 5.5% **
5. Aroma Coma- double-dry-hopped American IPA; Category: 52; American IPA; ABV- 6.75% **
6. Denogginizer- Imperial IPA; Category 53; Imperial India Pale Ale; ABV- 9.75 **
7. Drake’s Gold Ale; Category 46; English Summer Ale; ABV 5.2%
8. Drake’s IPA; Category 51; American Style Strong Pale Ale; ABV 7%
9. Drake’s Amber; Category 58B; Extra Special Bitter
10. Black Robusto Porter; Category 75; Robust Porter; ABV 6.3%
** Indicates beers that will be judged and poured at GABF.